When was the last time you checked your credit report? A credit report is a history of past and present credit. Credit reports include credit cards, loans, how much you owe and whether you pay your bills on time.
Annually reviewing your credit report should be at top of your personal finance list. Over 32 percent of Americans have never obtained a copy of their free credit report. The information on your credit report can affect much of your life. Your credit report will determine loan rates, car insurance premiums, utility deposits and more. For a free credit report visit AnnualCreditReport.com.
Reasons to view your credit report annually:
- Detect errors that might affect your credit score.
- Verify the loans you co-signed for are being paid on time.
- Stop identity theft and credit card fraud that may be happening.
Tips to improve your credit report.
- Pay your bills on time.
- Pay off debt and keep balances low on credit cards.
- Apply for credit only when needed.
- Don’t close unused credit cards.
- Check credit reports annually, disputing any errors that hurt your report.